Granny Square Day 2023!

    Hello! I hope you had a great day on Tuesday submersing yourselves in colours and stitchy fun! Isn't it fab that we actually have a day that celebrates crochet and the most used motif of our craft?!


    Granny Squares are probably one of the very first things that we learn to make when we start crocheting - they are just so versatile and relatively quick to make that they become a favourite part of our crochet vocabulary and unite us in a way that perhaps no other part of the craft does. 


    Despite this, I suppose Granny Square Day could also spark some arguments among people. For example, what is a Granny Square? Is it the traditional Granny Stitch worked in rounds? Do the rounds all have to be different colours, or at least alternating, or is one colour OK? Or are they any crocheted square worked in Trebles(UK), with puffs, clusters, popcorns and clusters thrown in for variety? For me I always think of Granny Squares being traditional, in all colour-ways. 


    It's what I've grown up with, but this year I have decided to embrace the challenge of the different by using a non-traditional design from a little book my sister got me. And although in theory it really shouldn't take too long to do, I do have my troubles with Trebles to contend with, and that is a bit of a downer.


    Now, apparently GSD is mainly an Instagram thing but I'm guessing that there's quite a lot of hookers out there, like me, that don't use Instagram or any other forms of social media, so I'm just going to celebrate it here and let's face it, the joy is in the making not the posting, clicking, updating, refreshing, blah blah blah...

    I'm going to show you what I'm up to right now and hopefully show you something finished towards the end of the month. Yes, I did say finished and I have every intention of making it happen! Having said that, knowing me something will go annoyingly wrong!

    So here's what I'm starting with...


    I haven't got very far with it yet but I'm using Granny Square Day as the official launch of the project, working on it for the rest of the month to completion. 

    And just for good measure, here is a traditional 4-round Granny Square that I made on the day!


    And it got me thinking: Could I do one of these a day, just grab 4 colours and put them together? I worked on it at various times during the day, when I had a few minutes to spare between other things, but technically it really didn't take that long so, could I? It's definitely something I'm going to think about and put into practise, and it is a great way of stash busting after all!

    I hope you all enjoyed the day hooking up your squares, I'd love to know what you got up to!

    Toodles! πŸ‘‹πŸ˜€

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blotober - Post 2!

Blogtober - Post 19! ❓ πŸͺ πŸ“– 🌡

Blogtober '23 - Day One. πŸ‘‹πŸ˜€