Blogtober '23 - Day 2.

    If you've been reading some of my more recent posts (yes, I know there aren't that many) you maybe wondering what's happening with that project I was quite excited about. Well, soon after mentioning it, it hit a big snag. Which I suppose was actually me being me but, there you go.

    You see during the summer I really needed to do some crochet and I couldn't think of what to do to scratch the itch. Enter Toni Lipsey! This wonderful woman posted the very thing I needed. Simple, quick, useful and stunning looks! And I even had some yarn to do it with! Which by a lucky coincidence would also give me the opportunity to use a yarn I never had before - Cotton! I know, I'm late to the party on this one but I've never really known what to do with few balls I had, which all came from the first two issues of a crochet partwork. But now, I had just the thing!

    The pattern/project in question was for a trio of kitchen helpers including the dreaded Pot Holder! Which was exactly what I decided to make!! I know, I know, don't say it, but it was what I needed. And the added bonus was that it was all done in Tunisian Crochet, which as you know is one of my favourite techniques.

    This was a double sided Pot Holder pattern, and side 1 was worked in a stitch I hadn't tried before: Brick Stitch!

    It was a little daunting at first what with all the careful counting and the post stitches, but it actually became quite an enjoyable process helped of course by the familiarity of the Simple Stitch, and the return pass.

    Side 2 was worked in Tunisian Simple Stitch using a single colour, but I decided to use all three of the colours I had for a thin striped look. And I have to say I love it!

    Doesn't it look FAB?! The texture and feel of the fabric is brilliant too, quite unlike acrylic and I really want to get some more to work with. Cotton could well become a favourite yarn for me, if my local shops sell it of course.

    The next stage is to stitch these two panels together to make the Pot Holder. And it's here I got snagged. Holding them as one, they felt so thick I wasn't sure it would actually be easy to use to hold anything, even a Tea Pot handle which had been my intention. It is possible that my DK Cotton is different to that used by Toni and has quite naturally made a thicker fabric, but it still leaves me in a quandry.

    The other thing that was nagging me was that the colours are just the sort that my Sister likes, and she has a birthday coming up so, could I perhaps turn this project into something for her? Could I use the remaining yarn to make a side-panel and strap, and turn it into a small bag? Or could I stuff it and turn it into a very small cushion with very little function? Decisions, decisions....

    What do you think I should do, any ideas?

    If you think you would like to try this pattern or it's siblings, here's the link:

    https://tlycblog.com/charming-trio-a-crochet-kitchen-accessories-set-with-a-towel-cloth-and-potholder/

    Byeee!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blotober - Post 2!

Blogtober - Post 19! ❓ πŸͺ πŸ“– 🌡

Interlude -Summer.