Summer's End.

    Picking up from where the last post finished, I would like to share this you. For the first time ever we had wild Orchids growing in the garden! We don't know where they came from, we certainly didn't plant them, and we've never had them before and I for one had never seen a wild orchid before, only hose big plastic-y looking ones in garden centres,  so it's been quite special. The ones we had are Common Spotted Orchids, and I think they're quite pretty!

Common Spotted Orchid

    I do have a new hook! Did I mention it in my last post? It's another that my Father has made me, this time from a paintbrush handle. The bristles had been used for glue which for some reason wouldn't wash out, so he chopped that end off and turned it into a very nice Crochet Hook! And despite what it says, it's closer to 4an' 'alf.


    I was really keen to try it because as you can see, it is a little different to most crochet hooks, being a little longer and having no thumb dent(?! - I have no idea if that's the correct term!) So, I decided to do a small sample of Double Crochet(UK) with it and the same with two other 4mm hooks, (They were out, the 4.5's weren't!) and I actually noticed some differences. Yes, the 4mm samples are a bit tighter (and for some reason I didn't chain one at the end of each row) than the new hook's, but the handling of the hook was what was noticeable. The new hook felt much more balanced in my hand and I didn't miss the thumb dent at all - in fact I think preferred not having it! I can say the same thing about the silicon-handled one. Because the handle is thicker by design, it felt much more comfortable to hold and use.

UK Double Crochet

    I had every intention of taking part in this years Granny Square Day, but sadly the hot weather got the better of me. I can certainly see why some bloggers/designers work on things a few months in advance. Plus Simply Crochet Magazine, who organize the event, chucked a spanner in the works by introducing a theme for this year, and I have to say that really threw me! I also really wanted it to be a Tunisian square as that is the type of crochet I've been concentrating on this year, but it turned out that that was not such an easy thing as I thought it would be. I did have a go, but... 

...Ummm...

    ...It didn't exactly go well. I have since found quite a good video on YouTube which explains the process a bit better than the written instructions I was trying to follow.

    Since the weather has turned cooler I have been working on my Yuletide Blanket and at the moment, it's going well. I'm happy with the progress I've made even if it still a long way from being finished, and I've had another rethink about how it's going to turn out, but that's half the fun right?

Goodbye, till next time.πŸ‘‹

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blotober - Post 2!

Blogtober - Post 19! ❓ πŸͺ πŸ“– 🌡

Interlude -Summer.